Academic post: Professor of Maritime Transport (tenured or tenure track)
Workload: full-time (40 hours a week)
Type of contract: permanent
Period: By Agreement ASAP
Application deadline: 31.August.2020
TalTech is an international scientific community with 11,000 students and approximately 1,800 employees, one of the largest universities in Estonia that is leading EU country in digitalization. The strengths of the university are wide multidisciplinary study/research interests, modern research and study environment as well as good collaboration with international educational and research institutions.
TalTech Estonian Maritime Academy is the only educational institution offering professional higher education, masters’ level education, further training and research and development competences in the maritime field in Estonia. As one of the schools of TalTech, we have established a base for creating synergies with other research fields and cooperation with the maritime industry.
The TalTech Estonian Maritime Academy invites applications for a professor position in Maritime Transport.
The objective of the professorship is to lead research and development and to implement science-based solutions in the field of Maritime Transport in Estonia and internationally.
• To ensure the continuity of maritime transport related know-how in TalTech and Estonia in general;
• To enhance the capabilities for acquiring high-level scientific education and research in the field of maritime transport at an international level;
• To contribute to the development of innovative and complex solutions in ports and shipping companies, taking into account the individual parts of the field but also the main features of maritime transport as a whole;
• To enable the integration of developments in containerization, intermodal transport, short sea shipping with the supply chain management in ports and shipping sector using a systematic approach;
• To develop and implement strategies relevant for the management of the maritime transport sector;
• To enable the integration of traditional maritime transport field with the modern and vast developing digital solutions (automatisation, big data, autonomous and unmanned vessels, cybersecurity) to ensure sustainability and competitiveness in the sector and the ecosystem friendly and effective solution in the maritime transport field;
• To enable the provision and development of science based study, research and development for the port and shipping management BSc, MSc and PhD studies in maritime specialization;
• To enable the growth in research and development by enhancing the integration with other research fields and institutions, thus making strong contribution to boost the technological advancements and knowledge intensity of Estonian maritime society, economy and industry.
The professor is expected to lead and carry out the study-, research and development activities in the field of maritime transport including topics like: integration of shipping companies in supply chain management; handling of container, tanker and dry cargoes; designation of ports for the transshipment of goods; ports and inland ports; different concepts of container ports (Gateway Container Ports/Hub Container Ports); Hub ports; key performance indicators of ports; ports as public private partnerships; risk management in maritime and port activities; assessing the risks and finding optimal solutions associated with the digitalization of shipping (Smart Shipping); innovation, digitalization (Smart Ports) and development in the field of shipping, ports and terminals.
The professor will be required to establish, manage and provide scientific guidance to a high-level research group in the field of maritime transport. Publishing high quality research, which has impact measured in terms of citations, is essential. The professor initiates, carries out and applies for international and national research and development projects and contractual cooperation as well as competitive research funding in the field of maritime transport, ports
and maritime affairs. Involvement of students (BSc, MSc, PhD studies) in research and development projects as well as supervision of final theses, masters’ and doctoral theses is required. The professor is also expected to popularize of his/her specialty and research results, participate in the work of international scientific committees, journals and boards; and carry out organizational and administrative activities in the field of research, development and teaching.
The position may be filled as tenured Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Full Professor or as a tenure track position, depending on the candidate’s merits and career stage. The TalTech Estonian Maritime Academy offers gross salary to a successful candidate starting from 37,000 € per year and additionally a starting grant of 120,000 €, access to relevant infrastructure and flexible work schedule.
• PhD in the field of maritime transport, transport or logistics and practical experience of at least 3 years;
• Publication record that proves ability for high quality independent research;
• Previous experience of independent scientific work (post-doc level) on international level in the field of maritime transport, ports, transport and/or logistics;
• Professional competence in conducting and managing research and development activities (including prior effective experience in establishing and the management of a research team);
• Experience in teaching and supervising at all levels (BSc, MSc, PhD);
• Recommended participation in the work of scientific committees, journals and boards.
For more detailed information on the position, please contact Madli Kopti, Director for Development email@example.com.
The following application documents are required (in English):
• an application;
• documents proving that the candidate holds the required academic degree (PhD or an equivalent qualification) and has acquired the required education;
• a curriculum vitae and a list of publications;
• an academic portfolio;
• a vision or an action plan for the following period of employment (the maximum total length 1500 words);
• other documents considered to be important by the applicant.
Documents should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TalTech as an employer offers
• Modern ergonomic working conditions and a flexible schedule;
• One of the most compact university campuses in Europe that is situated next to the technology and many high-tech companies and start-ups (Skype, Starship Technologies etc.);
• Individual development and training opportunities;
• Material and non-material tokens of acknowledgement;
• Sporting opportunities;
• All-staff activities and a balanced work and family life.
More information about TalTech: https://www.ttu.ee/en/.
Further information about working and living in Estonia can be found: https://euraxess.ec.europa.eu/, http://www.workinestonia.com/.