TENURED PROFESSOR OF MARINE TECHNOLOGY
Workload: full-time (40 hours a week)
Type of contract: permanent
Taking up employment: ASAP, but preferably no later than 1 December 2022
Application deadline: 31 August 2022
TalTech Estonian Maritime Academy invites applications for a professor position in Marine Technology.
The Estonian Maritime Academy is one of the Schools of Tallinn University of Technology (TalTech) that provides multi-level education and conducts professional research in maritime sciences and fields related to them, making it the only competence centre of its kind in Estonia. There are four higher education programmes of applied studies, one master’s and one doctoral study programme maritime main speciality in Engineering. As one of the Schools of TalTech, we have established a base for creating synergies with other research fields and cooperation with the maritime industry.
The objective of the Marine Technology professorship is to lead scientific studies and development, with international visibility, in the fields of integrated ship systems, as well as autonomous and unmanned maritime technology.
The professor will:
- Establish, lead, and manage a high-level research group in the field of maritime technology focusing on:
- the design and architecture of integrated ship systems (electrical, mechanical, power, control system, green technology) and their integration within structural system balancing their performance, and the safety and security in high seas or in ports;
- the development of autonomous and semi-autonomous vessels and maritime infrastructures considering regulatory frameworks and standards.
- Cooperate with other research groups within the Estonian Maritime Academy and TalTech, and more generally in other institutions while considering the ship as part of larger socioeconomic system, digitalization of the maritime field, and maritime cyber-security.
- Participate in the development of regulatory framework for autonomous and unmanned ships at national and international levels, and participate in standardisation process.
- Initiate high-level scientific and R&D projects with Estonian and European leading partners through competitive research grant applications.
- Involve students (BSc, MSc, PhD) into research and development projects, and supervise masters’ and doctoral theses.
- Publish high quality research papers in top-level journals, with high impact level (evaluated in term of citations).
- Teach in the field of maritime technology in study programs of Ship Engineering, MSc of Maritime Studies and PhD studies (maritime); participate in the development of study programs at all levels of higher education.
The position is located in the Research Group of Green Maritime Technology of the Estonian Maritime Academy. The selected candidate will continue the development of the Green Maritime Technology research group and will be offered an opportunity to use the one-time research group development grant of 100 000 € and yearly tenure grant of 50 000 €. TalTech Estonian Maritime Academy will offer basic gross salary to a successful candidate starting from 48,000 € per year, with high growth potential in case of successful research funding. In general, Estonia is well known of its low taxes and excellent living environment. Overview about Estonian salary taxation system can be found here.
For more information about the position contact Madli Kopti, Director for Development, Estonian Maritime Academy, firstname.lastname@example.org, phone +372 55662133.
Benefits of joining TalTech:
- Our tenure-track career system enables building a successful academic career and creates opportunity to be an internationally known and valued tenured professor in marine technology;
- Innovative, ambitious and multidisciplinary cooperation-oriented research groups in the Estonian Maritime Academy as well in TalTech;
- Professionally provided administrative support (project applications writing, submission and projects implementation, HR, HPC, etc.) – our professors can mainly focus on RDI;
- One of the most compact and sufficient maritime community in Europe that is surrounded by technology, digitalization and many high-tech companies and start-ups (Skype, Starship Technologies, Bolt, Pipedrive, etc.);
- Modern ergonomic working conditions, green campus approach and a flexible schedule;
- To support the high-quality research, it is possible to use the numerous possibilities offered by our state-of-the-art Simulator Centre and modern laboratories’ infrastructure such as of engineering, refrigeration, process automation, pneumatics and hydraulics, electrical engineering, electronics, and marine electrical equipment;
- Individual development and training opportunities;
- Our digital and small society – everything is doable digitally and on smart quick way.
- Doctoral degree (PhD or equivalent) and postdoctoral experience in the field of maritime engineering, ship engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical or control engineering;
- Record of publications in maritime technology in reputable journals. The level of scientific publications and citation should be at a comparable level with professors in the same field as in comparable universities (Aalto University, Chalmers University of Technology, KTH Royal Institute of Technology, universities belonging to the EuroTech Universities Alliance);
- Experience as an applicant of successful research and development projects as PI or co-PI;
- A record in conducting and managing research and development projects;
- Experience in teaching and effective supervision of BSc, MSc and PhD students;
- Some knowledge in Digitalized Computational Fluid Dynamics (DCFD) using artificial intelligence, machine learning and genetic algorithm would be desirable;
- Active participation in the scientific committees, journals and boards is desirable;
- Language skills: English (fluent written and oral). In the longer term, it is expected that the candidate will acquire Estonian language skills to support fluent teaching and collaboration with Estonian stakeholders.
To apply for this position please send the following documents in English by 31 May 2022 at the latest by using the link “Apply”:
- an application (a cover letter detailing how the candidate meets the qualifications of the position);
- documents proving that the candidate holds the required academic degree (PhD or an equivalent qualification) and has acquired the required education;
- a curriculum vitae and a list of publications;
- an academic portfolio , including a motivated self-evaluation regarding compliance with the requirements for the tenured professor post set out in the Academic Career Management Regulation Annexes 3 “Academic Evaluation Matrix” (required in case of university staff) or a free format evaluation of the academic activity undertaken so far and the competencies required for work (required form external applicants);
- a vision or an action plan for the following period of employment (the maximum total length 1500 words);
- other documents considered to be important by the applicant.
Regarding further information on the application documents and recruitment process please contact TalTech HR email@example.com.
Tallinn University of Technology (TalTech) is the only flagship in engineering and IT science and education in Estonia, providing higher education at all levels in engineering and technology, information technology, economics, science, and maritime. TalTech’s mission is to be a promoter of science, technology, and innovation and a leading provider of engineering and economic education in Estonia.